Cumberland will invest $200,000 to renovate the Carver Community Center on Frederick Street, which has been vandalized in recent years. This will be the second rehabilitation project for the school, which saw more than $1.5 million invested in the building in the early 2000’s to convert it into a community center. In 2011, the facility was closed. Some of the funding, $100,000, will come from the Maryland Historical Trust, through its African American Heritage Preservation program. The balance will come from a contribution from city funds. A new board will be appointed to oversee the community center. The school itself closed in 1959, as the result of school integration. The building was also the original site of Allegany Community College, until the school moved to Willowbrook Road.